Monday, December 14, 2009

Sleep eludes me

Well I went to bed at 11pm and here it is 12:50am and I am nowhere close to tired. Have just so much stuff swimming around in my head. Can't stop thinking about my son, my wife, my daughter, my life. Thinking about all of the stuff I've been through. I have lived a pretty crazy life. So many highs and lows that my valleys have some pretty high peaks and my peaks have some crazy low valleys. It is kind of amazing how much the human body and mind can endure. I have been to the most sordid horrible parts of hell and there have been times that I feel I was looking in God's eyes. Life is……………. Well yeah…..Life just IS. In the past few days I have seen both ends of life. My son was born on Saturday morning then 7 hours later I saw my 96 year old Grandmother who is taking what might soon be the last breaths she'll ever take. It really is fleeting, all of this. Our time here is short. Whether you live until you're 9 or until you're 90. There really is no day but today. I have found it very important to live in the moment. To really be aware of what's going on. Not only around me but in my head as well. I have to constantly ask myself if I am in the moment or just reacting to it. Well I'm gonna share a piece I wrote with y'all. If you get a chance I'd love to hear your thoughts on life.



No day but today

to stand and be counted

to count

To mean something

Be something

More than a know nothing

A stand up and show something

Show my worth so my time on Earth is not wasted

That there was a reason for my birth

So in my death I will have left a mark

"There's only us. There's only this. Forget regrets. Or life is yours to miss."

If you live in regret

You are throwing away laughs

And smiles

And hugs

Might have been a drinker

Might have used drugs

But what did you learn?

Did you learn the score?

So that now you yearn for more

Than you did before

Can you now open a door to a future that's bright

Can you shine like the Star you are?



                    Van Overton 2009

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

would love to hear your thoughts