Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Give it Up…

"And you may not find any you'll want to go down. In that case, of course, you'll head straight out of town. It's opener there in the wide open air." On my way to class this morning I saw an unopened bag of Oreos on the corner. They were just sitting there. You could tell that they were placed there, that they hadn't fallen out of a car. I started thinking about that bag of cookies and who they were for. In my head I could see a daily routine of a driver who passes, and sometimes stops, at that corner every day and gives change to the nameless guy that holds a card board sign saying, "Please, Help! Thanks" or "Trying to survive." I thought about how upset the Oreo gifter might have been this morning to not see the corner dweller out there. Did the driver think to themselves, "I hope he is okay."? Why was the cardboard sign guy out there in the first place? Was it a bad streak of luck or maybe he was just traveling? Well, I hope he gets his Oreos and I hope we can all give a little of ourselves every now and then. Thank you friendly driver and giver of Oreos.


 

You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.

Kahlil Gibran

No comments:

Post a Comment

would love to hear your thoughts